Japanese chip maker Renesas, which merged with electronics maker NEC in 2010, has announced it will be integrating 16MP cameras in future handsets.
The CE150 image-processing system chip “will make it possible to produce 16MP phone cameras for the first time, up from the maximum 13MP that are currently available,” explains Crunch.
Users will also be able to use the cameras to shoot 1080p Full HD video.
Renesas showed off a phone camera processor capable of such a feat in December 2008.
The company will begin mass-producing in March, with up to 1 million units being produced each month.
Sample units are available to handset makers for $48, now.
Result for: crunch
According to Mobile Crunch, a release candidate of Mobile Firefox is coming next week, finally giving users an in-depth look into the browser.
Says Mozilla’s VP of Mobile Jay Sullivan, as indexed by the source:
* Release candidate next week, final release within a few weeks
* Adblock Plus and around 30 other extensions are already playing friendly with Mobile Firefox, though they need some tweaking for the smaller screen
* Firefox won’t be the default browser on Maemo 5, though Nokia is considering the switch for Maemo 6 (which is coming in late 2010. We scooped the details and screenshots of Maemo 6 back in May.
* While they need pretty beefy hardware to make Mobile Firefox tick, the N900 isn’t the bottom line. “Everything now on the mid- to high-end is fine.”
* The Windows Mobile build is 3-4 months behind the Maemo build
* They’re focusing on webapp features. In its current state, web apps in Mobile Firefox can pull data from the accelerometer and GPS, and store data in memory for offline use
Result for: crunch
According to a new TechCrunch article, Yahoo has begun advertising Internet Explorer all over its portal, telling Firefox users they could switch to the “new, safer Internet Explorer 8″.
Last year, when Yahoo was not in cooperation with Microsoft the company had quite a different banner, telling users to switch to the “NEW safer, faster Firefox 3.″
Pictures via TC: